Whether you understand it or not, meals are central to our lives. Some use it for gasoline, whereas others current recipes as an artwork type. If you’re in the latter group, and also you wish to create a meals blog to share your ardor, WordPress is a prime platform.
In this text, we’ll present you with methods to create a meals blog with WordPress. Before this, we’re going to offer you all of the contexts it's essential to get began.
What a Food Blog Is
On paper, the idea appears easy. A meals blog does what it says on the tin. You’ll submit common content about meals, though there are a few alternative ways you possibly can go right here:
- The blog might be all about cooking. Recipes are going to be a huge half of your content.
- You may evaluate eating places and different institutions. This isn’t going to feature recipes a lot, and it will be heavy on textual content and media.
- The blog may evaluate kitchen devices. This will use affiliate hyperlinks to monetize your blog in most circumstances.
There are tons of different sorts of meals blogs too, however, we’ll focus on cooking-based blogs for this submit. Though, after you have the basics down, you’ll have the ability to apply them to any kind of site you would like.
Why You’d Want to Start a Food Blog
In quick, you’ll wish to start a meals blog as a result of its pursuits. This appears apparent, however, you must have an ardor for food-related topics firstly.
If you’re trying to make some cash out of your blog, or in any other case shares your data with the general public, there are a few good causes for doing so:
- Spinning up a WordPress site is easy, and fast.
- Expanding on this, it’s easy to add monetizing performance if wanted.
- You can build a massive following, as a result of meals running a blog is widespread.
- By extension, you'll be able to affect the business in case you have a lot of followers.
If you just like the sound of these factors, utilizing WordPress to create a meals blog is going to swimsuit you. In reality, let’s dig into this additional subsequent.
What Makes Up a Stellar Food Blog
If you take a look at some of the highest blogs in the area, all of them have several components widespread. Of course, there are totally different niches in terms of meals blogs, however, for recipe-based websites, there are a few constant components:
- Readable textual content and good typography selections.
- Gorgeous images, usually taken by a skilled (and even a passionate hobbyist).
- Dedicated recipe codecs, usually as half of a theme or plugin (extra on this later).
This is a bare-bones tick-list, however in case you have these in place, it’s sufficient to get began. Depending on your precise necessities, you may wish to add features reminiscent of associated posts sections, and social media feeds.
Though, a meals blog is an easy idea, with the complexities coated in your content and media. When it involves some of these core components, WordPress is splendid.
Why WordPress Should Be Your Platform Of Choice
Before we get onto methods to create a meals blog, we must always chat about your alternative to the website builder.
We’ve coated tons of different platforms on the WPKube blog, reminiscent of Wix and Squarespace. Though, WordPress is by far our most popular alternative. Here’s why:
- It’s the most popular CMS on the market.
- WordPress is open-source and free (as in each speech and beer).
- You can prolong the platform in no matter method you select given the best expertise, themes, and plugins.
- WordPress is safe and secure.
- The community of builders, users, and volunteers are wealthy.
We may wax lyrical on why WordPress is superb for the subsequent 10,000 phrases. Instead, you must try our article wanting on the ins and outs of WordPress itself.
What You’ll Need in Place to Create a Food Blog
At this level, we’re starting to get into the ‘nitty-gritty’. Now you’re conscious of the scope of a meals blog, you'll be able to start to assemble the required instruments and providers. Consider this mise en place on your site.
Most of the next will be important, however, we’ll offer you a heads-up if one ingredient is elective. Of course, in case you want one thing particular on your imaginative and prescient, really feel free to add it onto the listing.
Still, to create a meals blog with WordPress, you’ll want the next:
- A website identify.
- Suitable web hosting.
- A theme that’s proper on your objectives.
- Some virtually important plugins to cowl safety and contacting you.
- Further plugins can assist you to construct your site and add performance primarily based on your wants.
For this final one, there might be any quantity of features you’d like to add to your blog. For instance, you may wish to improve comments or add social media feeds. You’re even in a position to join email marketing providers for your blog.
Though food-related performance ought to be a prime concern. Recipe submits codecs and sections are going to be a huge deal on your site, so you possibly can argue that one thing like this is additionally important if it’s not coated by your theme.
During the subsequent few sections, we’ll define some of the extra widespread and worthy selections in terms of every of these, though our blog has tons of articles on every one of these features.
How to Create a Food Blog With WordPress (In 5 Steps)
Once you have thought of what kind of meals blog you wish to create, it’s time to stand up and working. We’ll cowl the next steps subsequent:
- Select a suitable hosting platform and register an area identify.
- Install and set up WordPress on your host.
- Find and set up a suitable theme on your site.
- Choose and install plugins that can assist you to add important performance.
- Launch your site.
Though without a host and an area identify, your site is pretty much as good as non-existent. Let’s sort out this step first.
1. Choose Hosting and a Domain Name
Our first step accommodates two duties, however, you’ll usually kind them collectively. This is as a result of hosting is akin to your own home, whereas the area identify is the address. One without the opposite isn’t splendid.
We’ve coated WordPress hosting in many kinds on the WPKube blog in the previous. Even so, if this is your first time proudly owning a site, you won't know what to choose, even with the steering.
In these circumstances, we’d go for Bluehost.
It’s a hosting supplier we’ve coated earlier than on the blog, so we received’t must promote it to you right here. In quick, it’s an advisable WordPress.org host, with dirt-cheap plans. It’s a nice entry-level into your first time with self-hosted WordPress.
Signing up with Bluehost is so simple as clicking the best buttons and working via the signup steps. Though, the primary alternative you’ll make is centered on your area identity.
Choosing Your Domain Name
Bluehost asks you early on whether or not you've your individual area, or wish to buy one from its registrar.
In our opinion, utilizing a third-party registrar is a good thought, as a result of in case your host goes down, your area is nonetheless dwelling. Even so, the selection at this stage is as much as you, and utilizing Bluehost’s registrar is easier.
If you wish to go down the third-party route, Namecheap is our alternative primarily based on worth and ease of use:
Again, with our recommendation in hand, the process takes a matter of minutes to register an area, though third-party registrars require you to hold out some extra setup.
2. Install WordPress and Set It Up
Once you’ve arranged your host, registered your area, and related them collectively, you’re prepared to put them in WordPress.
Because WordPress is so widespread, most hosts have fast methods to put in and set the platform up. Bluehost enables you to accomplish that via its dashboard – particularly the My Sites > Add Site page:
Once you’ve clicked the choice to put in WordPress, you’ll run via a few steps, reminiscent of selecting an administrative username and password. As an apart, we suggest selecting one thing apart from admin as your username, as this will make it more durable to crack.
Once you verify the settings, you’ll have a shiny new WordPress site able to roll. To check it out, head to your WordPress admin display. You can enter this from the My Sites display, by clicking the Manage site button:
The subsequent display will offer you a number of choices, however, the login to WordPress button will take you to your admin display:
At the log-in display, enter your credentials and also you’ll come to the WordPress dashboard.
You’ll work on your site right here in virtually every method on a day-to-day foundation. Though, one of your first duties is to decide on the best theme for your meals blog.
3. Choose a Suitable Theme
WordPress’ default setup is a bare-bones operation. The thought is to spice up the performance and features with themes and plugins. We’ll get onto the plugin later, however, themes dictate how your site seems to be, whereas typically providing performance too.
Choosing the best theme can lead you down the proverbial ‘rabbit hole’. For instance, you possibly can trawl lists of themes to seek out the best one, or hone in on these particular to your wants.
Though, in case you’re overwhelmed, quick on time, or need a suggestion, our sister site MeridianThemes has the best possibility for you – Florentine:
It’s $59 and nice for recipe-based blogs. It’s bought a few tips up its sleeve that can assist you to create one thing your readers will savor:
- Recipe formatting, to assist show yours in the best method.
- A distraction-free mode, so your guests can comply with alongside without dropping focus.
- A built-in publication module that can assist you to gather email addresses from guests.
Once you’ve bought the theme, putting in it is a breeze. In reality, we’ve coated this on the blog in the previous, so examine that article out in case you’re uncertain of the process.
Setting Up Your Theme
Once you’ve put in your theme, you’ll set it up. Lots of premium themes ask you to enter the license key discovered inside a welcome email. In the case of Florentine, you'll be able to enter it into the related area on the Appearance > Theme Welcome display:
This will offer you entry to updates and support, so it’s an advisable step.
Next, you’ll wish to design the structure to your liking. This takes place in an admin panel, however relying on the theme you select, it might be customized.
By default, themes will use the Customizer – a devoted display in WordPress discovered at Appearance > Customize.
In the case of Florentine, there are a wealth of choices right here relating to a lot of features of your site. We suggest going via each to see what they do. While you’re utilizing the Customizer, no modifications are saved, so you'll be able to mess around till your coronary heart’s content.
Though, when you’re prepared, you'll be able to publish your modifications and look to your plugins.
4. Implement Essential Functionality Using Plugins
As we are famous, plugins bolt further performance onto your site. As such, you’ll want them to fill your feature set out.
You can discover hundreds in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory for free, and there are tons of premium options too. You’ll have the ability to discover a plugin for nearly each use case.
In reality, some WordPress plugins are virtually important. Here’s what you must go for when creating a meals blog:
Before you go trying to find further plugins, head again to the Appearance > Theme Welcome display in WordPress for Florentine, and take a look at the Plugins part:
Lots of premium themes will even have some dependent plugins, and for Florentine, these deal with some customized meta boxes, contact kinds, opt-in kinds, and extra. Before you progress on, you must set up these as per the Theme Welcome display.
It’s arduous to suggest additional plugins once we’re uncertain of your precise wants. Though, we’d suggest taking a look at one of our roundup guides that can assist you to see the scope of what you'll be able to obtain.
If you’re uncertain about methods to get plugins onto your site, there’s information for that! We’ve checked out this topic earlier than, so head there first earlier than you start to panic.
5. Launch Your Site
By now, you must have hosting and area arrange, WordPress and a theme put in, the best plugins in place, and your design to the place it must be.
The ultimate step is to launch your site! This could be as distinctive as you want, though we suggest having some features in place regardless of your objectives:
- Set up social media channels on websites that suit your goal user base. Don’t be frightened of skipping over a social media site if it doesn’t suit your imagination and prescient.
- Use social media to advertise your new site, and have a common posting schedule in place.
- Collect email addresses from users to ship out common newsletters. This will offer you a direct method of partaking with users and hopefully promote to them down the road.
Above all, ensure you’re publishing new posts on a common foundation. There’s no substitute for nice content, so make this a precedence.
Also, bear in mind to have interaction with guests inside your submit’s comments. This is one other space the place you'll be able to meet users in a direct method, so cultivating a community on your site, inside your comments, might be a winner technique.
Blogging is at the core of WordPress, and as such, you’re in a position to share your ideas, opinions, and passions with others in a snap. The platform is splendid for nearly any kind of site you'll be able to assume. Food running a blog is a huge business, and you will get on board the bandwagon in no time.
This submit has coated methods to create a meals blog with WordPress in 5 steps. Let’s recap them:
- Purchase hosting (we suggest Bluehost in this case) and an area identify.
- Go via How to Create a Food Blog With WordPress: Our Step-by-Step Information setup process and arrange the site.
- Choose a stable meals theme, such as Florentine, and develop your structure.
- Choose and set up plugins to assist additional safe your site, and add important performance and features.
- When you’re prepared, launch your site and put it on the market utilizing social media.
Do you wish to create a meals blog, and has our article helped you to leap? Share your ideas with us in the comments part under!