Want to start a blog to share your ideas and concepts with the world?
There’s by no means been a higher time to create a blog. And due to some user-friendly free instruments, it’s additionally by no means been simpler to get began, even when you have no technical data.
Who is aware of – down the road, you may even have the ability to make a facet or full revenue out of your blog. That takes time, however, there are loads of folks proving that it’s doable.
In this put up, we’re going to point out you the best approach to make a blog in 2021 and past – utilizing WordPress. Over 39% of all of the websites on the Internet use WordPress, together with most of the web’s most profitable bloggers.
With below an hour and less than $50, you possibly can be a part of the ranks of these bloggers – we’re going to point out to you the way is.
Keep reading for our step-by-step information on finding out how to start a blog in 2021 and the past.
How to Start a Blog FAQ
Before we get began, right here are a few FAQs about our tutorial to be able to know what you’re in for.
What platform will I exploit to start a blog?
We’re going to have you ever use self-hosted WordPress, which is the preferred approach to make a website. We’ll clarify why we suggest WordPress in the tutorial.
Do I have to be a developer to launch a blog?
No! Anyone can observe this information – you undoubtedly don’t want any technical data. Everything that we present you is code-free.
How lengthy does it take to create a blog?
The preliminary setup process takes lower than an hour. Of course, you’ll spend extra time than that on including content and tweaking the design. But you possibly can have a working blog inside an hour.
How lot does it cost to make a blog?
There are a lot of variable costs, so it’s laborious to provide one quantity. At a naked minimum, you can observe each step in this tutorial for simply $25 to get began plus ~$15 monthly to keep up your blog.
How to Create a Blog
While there are heaps of completely different instruments that can assist you to create a blog, WordPress is the preferred and best choice, which is why we’re going to make use of it for this tutorial. Here’s why we like WordPress:
- It’s free.
- You don’t want any particular technical data – anybody can use WordPress.
- There are tens of hundreds of WordPress themes, which allow you to manage how your blog appears to be.
- There are tens of hundreds of WordPress plugins, which allow you to add new features to your blog.
- Because it’s so well-liked, there’s an enormous WordPress community that makes it simple to seek out assistance with actually something.
However, it’s necessary to notice that we’re speaking about self-hosted WordPress, which is completely different from WordPress.com. If you wish to be taught all of the variations, try our full self-hosted WordPress vs WordPress.com comparison…however the primary thought is simply that you just are not going to make use of WordPress.com for this tutorial. Instead, you’re going to make use of self-hosted WordPress (obtainable at WordPress.org), which is the free, open-source WordPress software.
If you wish to be taught why self-hosted WordPress is a higher choice for running a blog than WordPress.com, you possibly can try the comparison. Otherwise, simply believe us that self-hosted WordPress is the best 😃 It’s cheaper and offers you extra flexibility, which is necessary for making your blog a success.
What You Need to Start a Blog With WordPress
To create a blog with self-hosted WordPress, you’re going to want a few issues – some are free whereas others will cost a little bit of cash:
- A website identifies – this costs around $10 per 12 months.
- Web hosting – this costs around $15 monthly (however you will get a low cost if you happen to pay for 12 months upfront).
- The WordPress software – this is free.
- A theme – this controls how your blog appears to be. You can discover heaps of free themes. If you do need a premium theme, they often cost about $60.
- Plugins – these additional features to your blog. You can discover 55,000+ free plugins, so it’s doable to pay zero. However, you additionally may need some premium plugins, which fluctuate in cost.
Here’s find out how to set all the pieces up!
1. Choose and Purchase a Domain Name
Your area identify is your blog’s everlasting address on the Internet. For instance, ours is wpkube.com.
It performs a key position in your blog’s branding and it’s additionally how folks will navigate to your blog, so it’s a necessary choice that you just wish to get proper.
You have two most important choices, relying on the path that you just wish to go along with your blog:
- You can simply use your identity. For instance, johndoe.com. Rather a lot of well-liked bloggers use this method and it’s a good choice if you wish to construct your personal private model.
- You can use a model identity. For instance, wpkube.com or pinchofyum.com (a well-liked meals blog). This is a good method if you need your blog itself to be the model.
The tough factor is that just one particular person can personal an area identify at a time. For instance, you couldn’t go on the market and register wpkube.com as a result of we already personal that area identify. Unfortunately, because of this some of your first decisions may already be taken, particularly if you happen to are attempting to purchase a .com (there are additionally different area extensions like .org and .internet).
To shortly see whether or not or not an area identify is obtainable, you should use a tool like Instant Domain Search.
Need some assistance with choosing your area identity? Check out our full information on how to decide on an area identify.
How to Purchase Your Domain Name
Once you’ve settled on the right identity and made certain it’s nonetheless obtainable, it's good to buy it so that you just personal the rights to that area identify. To do this, you should use a service known as an area registrar.
There are a lot of completely different area registrars you should use, however, we suggest Namecheap as a result of:
- It has glorious costs for the hottest extensions. It’s less expensive than options like GoDaddy.
- It helps two-factor authentication (necessary for protecting your area identity safe).
- It gives area privateness for free, which suggests different folks gained’t have the ability to see your contact particulars once they lookup your area data.
Here’s find out how to buy your area identify:
- Go to Namecheap
- Enter your area in the search field
- Add your area identify to your cart (be sure you select the right area extension – e.g. “.com”)
- Complete the checkout process to finalize your buy.
2. Create Your Flywheel Hosting Account
Whereas your area identify is your blog’s public address on the Internet, your web hosting is the behind-the-scenes engine that truly powers your blog’s software and serves up your site’s content to guests from worldwide.
To make your blog profitable, you wish to select a host that will:
- Load your site shortly, as a result of folks who don’t like reading a slow-loading blog.
- Load your site reliably, so that your blog is at all times obtainable and doesn’t experience downtime.
While there are heaps of high-quality WordPress hosts on the market, we particularly suggest a host named Flywheel for a few causes:
- Prices start at simply $15 monthly. This is a little greater than the actual low-cost WordPress hosts, however, it’s actually good worth for the features that you just get.
- You can focus on running a blog as a result of Flywheel handles the technical stuff. Flywheel is what’s referred to as a “managed WordPress host”, which principally signifies that Flywheel handles stuff like maintenance and safety for you to be able to simply focus on creating content and rising your blog. This is actually nice for freshmen who don’t wish to deal with server management.
- Flywheel has glorious support. So if you happen to hit any snags, all it's good to do is attain out through reside chat, and Flywheel will enable you to out.
Again, Flywheel costs $15 monthly and that plan will be completely wonderful if you’re simply getting began. As your blog grows, you may improve to an increased plan, however, that’s a good drawback to have 🙂
To get began, click on the button beneath to go to Flywheel and register in your account. You can create your account for free to test it out – you solely must pay if you’re able to launch your precise site.
Go to Flywheel
Click the Get Started button in the top-right nook:
First, you’ll be prompted to enter your primary account particulars:
Then, fill out a few further particulars and click on Finish:
3. Choose Plan and Install WordPress through the Flywheel Dashboard
Now, you ought to be in your Flywheel dashboard, which suggests you’re prepared to put in WordPress and get began constructing your precise website.
Click any of the buttons to Create a New Site – this will allow you to set up the WordPress software and launch your blog:
Now, you’ll be prompted to create a plan, which is the place you really want to tug out your bank card and make your buy:
Since you’re simply getting began, it's best to select the Tiny plan. You can at all times improve later as your site grows.:
Now, you’ll enter your payment particulars and make your buy. Most of the fields are self-explanatory – the one necessary selection is the Datacenter drop-down. You’ll wish to select the situation that’s closest to your target market. For instance, in case your blog focuses on Canadians, select the Canada information heart.
You may enter our unique Flywheel coupon code to avoid wasting cash:
Once you arrange your plan, you possibly can observe the remaining steps to create your WordPress site. In the setup wizard, you’ll be prompted to enter your WordPress account credentials. These are what you’ll use to log in to your precise blog, so just be sure you bear in mind them.
Once you end this setup process, it's best to have the ability to view your site contained in the Flywheel interface:
4. Point Your Domain Name to Your Web Hosting and Go Live
Now that you've your blog’s hosting and area identify, the subsequent step is to hyperlink the 2 collectively. This is most likely essentially the most technical half of your entire process, however, don’t fear as a result of it’s nonetheless fairly easy!
There are a few steps concerned right here, however (*1*) so I’m not going to reinvent the wheel. Or, if you happen to used a completely different area registrar, Flywheel (*2*).
If you hit any snags, you possibly can attain out to Flywheel’s support employees they usually will be comfortable that can assist you out.
At this level, you’ll additionally wish to disable privateness mode in your site’s dashboard in Flywheel. Flywheel allows this by default so that your blog is personal to start. However, when you add your area identify, you’re able to make it public:
5. Access Your WordPress Dashboard
Now, you’re able to enter your WordPress dashboard, which is principally the management panel in your blog.
To enter your dashboard, go to yourblog.com/wp-admin and log in utilizing the credentials that you just selected in the Flywheel site setup wizard (Step #3). These are not identical to your Flywheel account – these are the credentials you entered when organizing your WordPress setup contained in the Flywheel dashboard.
For instance, in case your blog is coolblog.com, you’d go to coolblog.com/wp-admin.
A Look At the WordPress Dashboard
Again, the WordPress dashboard is principally the management panel in your blog. This is the place you possibly can manage:
- Your blog posts and different content
- How your blog appears to be like (through a theme)
- What performance your blog has (through plugins)
- Basic configuration settings about your blog
How to Write Your First Blog Post
In the subsequent steps, we’ll cowl controlling how your blog appears to be through a theme and including features through plugins. But earlier than that, why not take a fast detour to do one thing enjoyable – write your first blog put up.
To do this, go to Posts → Add New in your WordPress dashboard. This will launch the block editor, which is what you should use to add your blog content.
To add textual content, all you do is click on and sort. For different parts, like images, quotes, or buttons, you possibly can click on the “plus” icon to add a new “block”. You may use blocks to manage structure, like including columns or spacing:
For extra on how the editor works, you possibly can try our full information to the WordPress editor.
6. Install and Customize Your Own Theme
Your blog’s theme controls how your site appears to be like to guests, which makes it a necessary consideration. You can assume of it type of like your blog’s “clothing”.
You can simply change themes without affecting any of your present content, so don’t fear if you happen to have already revealed a blog put up.
Where Can You Find and Install Free Themes?
If you don’t wish to pay any cash for your theme, the best place to search is the official WordPress.org theme directory.
All of the themes listed there are:
- 100% free
- Code checked by the WordPress Theme Review Team
- Tagged for simple looking
Some good free choices to get began with are:
All of these themes are multipurpose, which suggests you should use them for actually any sort of blog. They additionally embrace heaps of importable demo websites.
Once you discover a theme that you just like, it's good to set up it on your site. Here’s find out how to set up a WordPress theme (click on for extra detailed information):
- Go to Appearance → Themes in your WordPress dashboard
- Click on Add New
- On the subsequent display screen, search for the identity of the theme that you just discovered
- Hover over the theme and click on Install
- Wait for the Install button to vary to Activate
- Click the Activate button to make your theme reside
That’s it! Your new WordPress theme is put in and lively.
What Can You Find Premium WordPress Themes?
Premium themes typically offer higher designs and extra features. If you possibly can swing the funds, they often offer the best experience.
Here are some good locations to seek out premium themes:
- StudioPress – StudioPress has been in the sport for fairly some time now, they usually are well-known for one of essentially the most revolutionary frameworks in the business, Genesis Framework. You may discover heaps of themes for blogs that are constructed on the Genesis Framework (which is what we use right here at WPKube).
- MeridianThemes – MeridianThemes sells 11 completely different themes, all of which make a nice choice for a blog. You should buy particular person themes for $59 or get entry to all 11 themes for $89.
- Elegant Themes – Elegant Themes make a very fashionable and versatile theme known as Divi (aff). It costs $89 and you should use it for actually any sort of site through its visible, drag-and-drop builder. You may additionally wish to read our evaluation of Elegant Themes and use our unique Elegant Themes coupon to get 20% off.
- Pixelgrade – They offer lovely WordPress themes that are simple to make use of and customize.
- FancyThemes — FancyThemes focuses on constructing easy-running blog themes for bloggers. They at present have 13 free WordPress themes obtainable for obtaining and 1 premium theme.
We additionally share lists of niche-focused themes on our blog in the WordPress themes class.
Once you discover a premium theme that you just like, be sure you obtain the ZIP file of the theme from the site of the place you bought the theme.
Then, right here’s find out how to set up a premium WordPress theme:
- Go to Appearance → Themes in your WordPress dashboard
- Click on Add New
- On the subsequent display screen, click on Upload Theme
- Click Choose File and choose the ZIP file of the theme
- Then, click on Install Now
- Wait for WordPress to put in the theme
- Click Activate to make the theme reside on your blog
That’s it! You simply put in and activated a premium WordPress theme.
7. Add Functionality to Your Blog With WordPress Plugins
While WordPress themes are principally nearly appearances, WordPress plugins are all about including further performance to your blog.
For instance, you may want a contact kind so that your readers can get in contact with you. WordPress plugins are what add performance like that.
Where Can You Find WordPress Plugins?
We’ve put collectively a put up with some of the best WordPress plugins for bloggers, however, if you happen to desire to forge out on your personal, you possibly can browse tens of hundreds of each free and premium WordPress plugin:
We additionally publish heaps of helpful plugin lists on our blog in the best WordPress plugins class.
How to Install WordPress Plugins
Once you discover a plugin that you just like, right here find out how to set up it:
- Go to Plugins → Add New
If you discovered the plugin at WordPress .org:
- Search for the identify of the plugin
- Click Install Now
- Wait for WordPress to put in the plugin, then click on Activate
If you bought a premium plugin:
- Click Upload Plugin and add the ZIP file
Launch Your Blog Today!
At this level, you've got a fully functioning blog constructed on WordPress. You’ve discovered find out how to write your first blog put up and likewise find out how to manage your blogs appears to be like with themes and add features with plugins.
Now, all that’s left to do is start writing blog posts that individuals like to read. Beyond that, you’ll most likely additionally wish to:
We hope you discovered this information useful, and congratulations on launching your blog!
Still, have any questions on finding out how to start a blog? Ask us in the comments part and we’ll attempt to assist!